Having severe abdominal pain. Sonography done. Found kidney stone. How to treat this?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
On 10-Apr-2013 I was rushed to hospital for a severe pain in my abdomen. The treating doctor said this might be a case of kidney stone. The sonography report said there is a 4mm found in the left side.
The treating doctor advised me to go for a CT scan. However he did not suggest any further medication for this.

Can you help me and prescribe a medicine which can help the stone to dissolve and pass through the urine?

Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

A kidney stone visible on ultrasonography has uric acid as one of the components.
A CT scan will further delineate the stone better and help to know the exact location of the stone.

A stone measuring 4 mm in size may not require surgical procedure.

It may be removed by drinking plenty of water and maintaining hydration. Water intake removes the stone spontaneously.

However, if the stone is impacted in the renal parenchyma, then other measures may be required.
Cranberry juice can be taken as it prevents Kidney stones increase the incidence of urinary tract infections so this measure can help.

Stay in touch with your treating doctor for CT scan.
Further management depends on the site of the stone.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Having severe abdominal pain. Sonography done. Found kidney stone. How to treat this? 5 hours later
Hello Dr. Shailja,

Thanks for you prompt reply and suggestion. One quick question can homeopathy medicine be of any help to remove the stone?
Appreciate your help.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

There are very good allopathic modalities for management of stones.
Large stones are managed surgically.
I cannot comment on effectiveness of homoeopathic treatment as I do not deal with this speciality.

Dr Shailja P Wahal