Having sense of smell like inhaling something. Get dizzy and nauseated. What to do?

Dermatologist
Question
I have had strange episodes over each of the last four days. I sense a strange smell as if I am inhaling something, and almost immediately I get dizzy and slightly nauseated. After a couple of minutes it goes away.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stugeron and serc might cause dysosmia.

Detailed Answer:

You have altered smell..called dysosmia.

As you said..It occured after taking cinnarizine and betahistine.

Dysosmia may be caused by sturgeon (cinnarizine ) and serc(betahistine ).

Dizziness and nausea are also caused by both.

You discuss with your doctor who is treating you about the side effect..dysosmia caused by cinnarizine and/or betahistine.

Both may be prescribed for vertigo or Ménière's disease.

Some other drugs may be prescribed for that like anticonvulsant like topiramate or anticholinergic like scopolamine.

I hope you got my answer.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Having sense of smell like inhaling something. Get dizzy and nauseated. What to do? 10 hours later
Actually, I wrote that I had NOT taken those medicines when the incidents happened - they were prescribed later. Another doctor told me that the symptoms could point to a pulmonary embolism, and I am concerned about taking medicines that treat the symptoms but not the causes, and could in fact mask the problem. What do you think?

Brief Answer:
Dysosmia may be caused by anxiety & depression

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back,

If you we're prescribed cinnarizine and betahistine after your complaints and you have not taken well and good. But, remember both the drugs can cause dysosmia .

Anyways you may be having something else which may be responsible.

Do you suffer from any disease at present?

Do you have any bad habit of tobbaco ,smoking or alcohol?

Any blood test abnormality?

You give detail and clear history without any confusion.So, that I can help you.

People with depression, anxiety, or other psychologic disturbances can have an altered sense of smell. That should be also kept in mind.

I hope you will give history in detail.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD