Having scrotal swelling. Had a vasectomy. Took ibuprofen. What should I do?

Hi here's my query -
it's regarding scrotal swelling.
I'm 55 and had a vasectomy 2 years ago.
I hope this is not too much information, but here is the background.
On Friday when leaving to the airport very early and putting my suitcase in the car, I felt what I can best describe as a slight, but noticeable, groin pull on the left side.
Friday night I had scrotal swelling on the left side.
I flew back home ( West coast to East Coast).
(i'm a runner training for my 11th marathon.
Upon return, I did not run but ride and exercise bike for 50 minutes. Have not done any exercise the last two days.
I ran 8 miles the night before the pull, but did not notice any pain or strain during, after, or upon waking Friday morning.)

I iced it yesterday. I took ibuprofen. I wouldn't say that it is painful, but more like soreness.

I would say that it feels somewhat better than Friday or yesterday, but the swelling is still there and still noticeable.

What is your best advice ?

Email address: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

You have scrotal swelling with mild discomfort of one day duration. You did not have any fever or pain anywhere else in your body. Most likely anatomic cause is inflammation of testis (orchitis). This inflammation may be due to some kind of an infection possibly a viral infection or may be mild trauma. Sometimes mild trauma can occur without knowledge. It can also be because of epididymytis (inflammation of epididymus) , seminal vesiculitis (inflammation of seminal vesicle) or a mild hydrocele (fluid in scrotal sac).

My advice will be that watch it for three to five days, if it persists then you should consult a general surgeon or a urologist.

If you have any other question you can ask again.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Having scrotal swelling. Had a vasectomy. Took ibuprofen. What should I do? 1 hour later
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later
You are most welcome XXXXXXX

Dr Dinesh Singal