Having scleroderma. Echocardiography is normal. Prescribed with cellcept. Should I take it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
hi i have limited scloderma FROM 3YEARS AGO.I HAVE SCL70 POSITIVE.PFT IS NORMAL AND ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY IS NORMAL.ILIVE IN IRAN AND ICAME TOU.S.A..MY DOCTOR IS IN HOUSTON. HE SAID TOME DO HRCT SCAN.IHAVENOT SIGN OF RESPIRATORRY DISEASE.RADIOLOGIST REPORTED NO EVIDENSE OF INTERSTIAL LUNG DISEASE.HE ALSOREPORTS SOME SCARS IN BASE OF RT. LUNG VSATLECTASIA. MY DOCTOR SAID TO ME START CELLCEPT.NOW I AM NOT SURE FOR CELLCEPT.PLEASE. SAY TO ME WHAT DO I DO? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Cellcept (Mycophenolic acid) is a medication that is useful in treating conditions like scleroderma. It helps in controlling the further progression of disease. Considering your PFT is normal and you do not have any sign of respiratory discomfort, your findings of right lung base scar/ aletectasia are not serious. There is no feature of intestitial lung disease which may be seen in patients of scleroderma. Your doctor wants to put you on Cellcept to control the manifestation of disease even if you do not have features of intestitial disease. Studies have shown Cellcept to be less toxic and cause minimal side effects and works better that earlier medications. Since no two cases of scleroderma are exactly alike, a lot of thought goes in before treating a patient, keeping in mind the clinical features and investigations. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek