Having runny nose, pain in wisdom tooth and headache. Is this a wisdom tooth problem or a sinus infection?

I've had a runny nose on one side for the last three days, pain in my top right wisdom tooth area and a headache that goes over one side of my face, my nose sometimes feels like it's blocked and will make popping/crackling sounds. It stops hurting towards around 9pm at night and isn't painful again till the next day around 12pm. Would this be a wisdom tooth problem or a sinus infection? I had just recovered from a flu also.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

It could be either a wisdom tooth problem/ sinus infection or both co-existing.

If your wisdom tooth is hurting, I would advise you to visit the dentist. Wisdom tooth problems can also cause headache , earache ,neckpain etc. It is called referred pain.

Most likely,you might be having sinusitis , since you have a history of runny nose, headache, nose block, pain in the region of wisdom tooth. More in favour of sinusitis, if the headache is more on bending forwards.

In the mean time, for temporary relief, you could take a Brufen along with an antacid after food (provided there is no history of gastritis, allergy to drugs, not on any other medications etc).Brufen would help in both conditions by reducing the wisdom tooth pain as well as the headache.

I would suggest you do the following:

1. Drink plenty of warm fluids.(warm water, hot chocolate, XXXXXXX tea)

2. Do steam inhalation 3 times a day.

3. Brufen 200mg 1 tab three times a day after food for 2 days. It is preferable to have an antacid along with Brufen.

If your symptoms don't get better in 2 days, I would suggest you visit your physician as you might need antibiotics and nasal decongestants.

Hope I have answered your queries. I will be happy to answer any further queries you may have.

If you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer.

Any reviews are welcome.

Get well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan