Having reoccurring red patches on inner elbow, inner knee and underarm. What could be this?

I have red patches that seem to go and go when i sweat they are itchy but dissapear within minutes of appearing within the inner elbow and inner knee and recently in my underarm area. they keep appearing every once and a while and have been that way for some time. My doctor keeps telling me she doesnt know what it is.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
I agree with your doctor that rashes are difficult to diagnose…
The rash you describe is better to be seen. Many rashes look alike and at times even confuse expertd.
The rashes you get are mostly at flexural area like arms, elbow etc
Often the rashes here are related to moisture… and you also clearly said it is in relation to sweating … such rashes are often red and are of 3 types sweat dermatitis which is a mild for and may need only talk powders or antisweat powders… other type is fungal infections or sores which may be painful… and third type being cellulitis and may respond to antibiotics…
Of these only first being transient… we should consider sweat dermatitis as most likely diagnosis… a picture will help me be more precise.
I hope this answers your query… feel free to write back if any doubts…