Having red throat. Took medrol. Developed thrush on tongue. What to do?

ENT Specialist
6 weeks ago placed on azithromycin for sore throat and developed thrush on roof of mouth that went away with nystatin rinse. Red throat persists so placed on medrol dose pack few days ago and now developed thrush on tongue. Can dose pack cause oral thrush? Concerned why I keep getting thrush. Had bloodworm done with was fine. I do drink and smoke so wondering about that which I plan to stop that. Thanks for any input. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Extended use of antibiotics is known to destroy the normal commensal bacteria in the throat and gut, giving rise to resistant bacteria and opportunistic fungal overgrowth.

2. Though steroids are toxic to fungi, this fungal infection is outside the body. The steroids also suppress the immune system and hence lower the immunity.

3. Get a throat swabs sent for bacterial and fungal culture and review the medication as per the sensitivity results.

4. These infections are sometimes difficult to treat and may take many weeks to subside. Smoking, alcohol and dehydration may add to the problem. It is good to hear that your blood test results are within normal limits. Hence recovery will not be delayed by other medical conditions that lower immunity, such as diabetes.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.