Having red stingy itchy insect bites on ankles and painful. ankles are swollen. Treatment?

I have red stingy itchy insect bites on my ankles. About 12 of them. They are 4 days old and still sting and are painful. They are raised and hard. My ankles are swollen. What could they be?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Insect bite can lead to local inflammation and localised allergic reaction which can lead to itching .

Itching leads to scratching and more inflammation and the itch - inflammation circle goes on and on , sometimes for weeks.

To break this circle, you need to take antiallergic medications like cetirizine/loratadine along with localised application of topical cortisones like clobetasol.

Local ice therapy,emollients, also help to reduce inflammation.

Please let me know if you need more information.