Having rash on hand. What could be these?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a few photos of a rash on my wifes hands. We are unsure of what it is. I have taken some photo's if you would take a look it it for me to see if you know what it is.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the image it looks like contact dermatitis.
To treat the same, a steroid cream like mometasone or betamethasone twice in a day should help. If the lesions are itchy, take tablet cetirizine.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Having rash on hand. What could be these? 1 hour later
She has just had our first baby, Is certirizine ok to take if breast feeding. Also, is she able to pass dermantitis onto our child. If so what measures should we take so he doesn't get dermantitis.
Thank you.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
As such tablet cetirizine is safe in pregnancy and lactation( while breast feeding). If the lesions are too itchy, she may take one tablet.
She can apply mometasone cream to help the lesion settle.
Dermatitis is not at all contagious or passable. She can handle her baby without any worries.
Ask her to follow the suggestions at least for five days . I will be available for follow up.