Having problem breathing, chest hurts with regular breathing and pain radiating to collar bone. Suggest?

General Surgeon
My husband is 62 years old (today) and is having problems breathing. He cannot take a regular breath because it hurts to much. His pain is located in the upper center chest. The pain gets worse if he takes a regular breath so he is shallow breathing, some of the pain is radiating to the collar bone.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:

During breathing, chest wall expands and contracts. Many muscles including ribs will help in this process. As the pain is related to breathing, the muscles along with their attachments to ribs might be the reason. I do not think this pain is related to a serious organic concern.

Skeletal muscle relaxant tablets will help. If you were to be my patient, I would start you on this class of drugs along with medicines to take care of Gastro esophageal reflux disease. If symptoms worsen I would order ECG to learn about heart status.

Hope this helps. If you have any queries, I will clarify further
Wish him good health