Having periodic numbness in shins. No pain. Suggestions

Spine Surgeon
Question
I have been having periodic XXXXXXX numbness in both shins (below knee above ankle). When it first started it wasn't very often but now it's almost every day. There is no pain.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Numbness usually a neurological symptom. Do you have any weakness also? Any limitation while walking? If you have recent imaging then please upload the same? It could be related to spinal stenosis. Please get back with above information. Thanks.

Follow-up: Having periodic numbness in shins. No pain. Suggestions 12 minutes later
There is no weakness or effect on my walking. The sensation is almost like that part of my shin(s) has fallen asleep. I've had multiple x-rays on my neck pre and post surgery but not on my back since 2007. I don't have the film or ability to upload. I would have to request copies. Is there anything that I can try that might address it non-medically. I've been told (by non-doctors who think they know things) that could be indication of diabetes, potasium deficiency, or magnesium? Is the symptom something that raises serious issues or concerns for my health?

Diabetes or vit b12 deficiency can cause such problem. I would suggest to consult a physician and get the blood investigations to rule out. Thanks.

Follow-up: Having periodic numbness in shins. No pain. Suggestions 31 minutes later
Thank you for your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 14 hours later
Let me know if you have any doubts. Thanks.