Having palpitations after taking prednisone. Is it okay if I stop taking it?

I took 24 mg prednisone 1st day? Then 20 mgsecond day. ( order is till 6 days) im having palpitations.. Is it ok to stop it??
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
If reducing the dose for 6 days by 4 mg,can stop..

Detailed Answer:

If you are using prednisone according to your doctor's prescription, then, follow it exactly as advised.

Please keep in mind that corticoids like prednisone are given at low dose at the beginning (not such 24 mg per day but less up to 2 or 4 mg/day) then, gradually the dose is increased until the desired highest dose for the effect.

Then, this highest dose is gradually decreased on daily basis until reaching the maintenance dose which is usually up to 20 mg daily for as long as the curing-disease requires.

After the desired effect is reached, the daily maintenance dose is reduced daily until stopping it.

According to this, I believe, your 24 mg prednisone is related to the maintenance dose, which can be reduced daily by 4 or 2 mgs until stopping it.

For 6 days, reducing 4 mg/day, you can stop at this point (last day, 6th day).

Sometimes, the use of cortocoids is associated with hypertension which can explain your palpitations, please check your blood pressure.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!