Having palpitation in thigh. What is causing this and cure?

I have been having a palpitation in my left thight for about a week now, it comes and goes. Sometime it is very heavy andcan be noticed jumping through my clothes. It is not very painful but I am very concerned.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

The presence of weakness fatigue and fasciculations could indicate the possibility of an endocrine or an electrolyte deficiency.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.
You can start taking methylcobalamin supplements and electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like fresh fruit juices and see if it helps.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.