Having painful white color ulcer on tongue. What can this be?
User rating for this question
I am 69 years old male. A painful ulcer, white color, has cropped up in toungue; very painful, have difficulty in eating. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hexidine, triamcinolone gel, B complex caps Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The common causes of oral ulcerations can be: 1. A sharp tooth margin 2. Tongue bite 3. Aphthous stomatitis 4. Drug induced 5. Fungal or viral infection 6. Taking hot food/fluids 7. Pre-malignant or malignant ulcers 8. Associated with systemic conditions If you are not a tobacco user and the ulcer is of short duration, use hexidine mouth wash with triamcinolone gel for local application and B complex capsules. You may need a prescription for triamcinolone gel. If you are a tobacco user and/or the ulcer is of long duration (non-healing), do consult an ENT and he/she can decide the need for a biopsy depending on the clinical findings like induration and raised margins. Also please correct any altered bowel habits by use of a high fibre diet. White coloured surface is because of slough covered surface which becomes so with any raw area in oral cavity. Pain in it can be because of infection or when the ulcer becomes deep. Feel free to ask another query. Wishing you good health. Regards
People also viewed
- White ulcers on the tongue
- Blocked nose missed period
- White painless mouth ulcers and furry tongue
- Blocked nose roof of mouth
- Sore ulcerated tongue with white spots
- Can ilosone cure mycoplasma pneumonia?
- Reasons of nasal block
- Can i take bio statin for oral thrush?
- Blocked noise from mkat
- Child constipated mouth ulcers white tongue
- Can protopic cure perioral dermatitis?
- Sinus blocked pins and needls
- Can i take niravam for panic disorder?
- Will omacor treat high triglycerides ?
- Chest pains and ulcerated tongue