Having painful cuticles around nails. Noticed dry, hard and bleeding skin. What is the remedy?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I am 26 year old female, my cuticles around my nails are painful. This condition is from years. Since childhood, my skin gets exfoliated, and then bleeds and become hard. I apply several creams to keep my hands soft, unfortunately, no effect on hands. Dryness exceeds for entire day,and skin is hard,bleeds and became black. I also experienced that my thumb nail having ridges. please help.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You may be having chronic paronychia. Detailed Answer: Hi, Cuticle around nail is called nail fold. As your nail folds are painful, it means that you have infection in nail folds..called paronychia. As it is from long time, it is called chronic paronychia. There may be bacterial and fungal infection.The skin of nail folds is dry and bleeds easily, so you do not torn or prick the superficial layer of skin. You should undergo for blood tests..to rule out DM,HIV,anaemia,nutritional and vitamin deficiencies and other diseases. You should avoid excessive contact with water and detergents. And also avoid to torn the the skin of nail folds,as it may deform the nail plate...causing ridges on the nail plate. And constant rubbing the nail fold may discolor the area.And you should keep your hands as warm and dry as possible; you will not get better until you do this. Wear gloves for any wet tasks, including shampooing and washing up.Avoid biting your nails, manicuring your nail folds, and pushing back the cuticles.Do not apply nail polish or cosmetics. You take treatment under supervision of dermatologist. Oral antibiotics and anti fungal tablets may be prescribed. Application of antibiotic and anti fungal cream may be needed. Frequent application of emmolient may be done to keep the area moist. After control of infection, steroid cream may be applied to cure the dermatitis. I hope you may be improved after long term treatment and regular follow up visits to your dermatologist. Still any query, you may ask.. Wishing you healthy life. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Having painful cuticles around nails. Noticed dry, hard and bleeding skin. What is the remedy? 9 hours later
I consulted with one of the dermatologist, she has given me Vibrox softgels and tablets pretihair and cream for daily use i.e Atoderm lotion and Clonate F. Is it helpful for me?

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer: I would like to know contents of medicines. Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome back, Please tell me the contents of medicines you take. Then I might advise properly.. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Having painful cuticles around nails. Noticed dry, hard and bleeding skin. What is the remedy? 8 hours later
Medicines contains- Vibrox softgels: omega-3-fatty acids+antioxidants+multivitamins+multiminerals, Pretihair: biotin with calcium pantothenate+n-acetyl cysteine and minerals

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You are taking vitamins and antoxidants. Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome back. The drugs you are taking are Vitamins and antioxidants. They are not the remedy. As I advised, you take medicines under supervision of dermatologist. As you are having chronic paronychia. You may continue Vitamins and antioxidants to improve immunity. I hope you might be satisfied with my answer. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD