Having painful cracks at the corners of mouth. Tried using anti fungal and hydrocortisone. What is the remedy?

cracks in corners of mouth so painful can t open mouth wide.tried anti fungal and hydrocortisone. Helps a while but comes back.forming scarring.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Angular Stomatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Doctors call this condition as Angular Stomatitis. The most common causes are iron deficiency, vitamin deficiency, oral infections like oral thrush (Fungal). So I would advise my patient to undergo some blood test to rule out iron and vitamin deficiencies. Treatment with iron and multi vitamin supplement for more than a month. Oral infection like oral thrush to be treated with anti fungal. Repeated oral thrush may be due to diabetes. Check for blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Follow-up: Having painful cracks at the corners of mouth. Tried using anti fungal and hydrocortisone. What is the remedy? 16 hours later
just a reply: thank you so much. that confirms my thoughts that my dad needs blood work. He didn 't want to do it ,but now ,when I show him what you said, he might go. thanks again Dr. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello, You're most welcome. Good luck. Regards.