Ask a Urologist   »  

Having pain while urinating, soreness in testicles and noticed blood in urine. Suggest the tests to be taken

Hi, I've been experiencing problems urinating for almost 2 months now. At first I thought I had a kidney stone and just had to pass it. I thought I had passed it at one point because the pain was so intense. Well, after that I had dull pain while urinating and almost Itchy-like feeling in my urethra. My urine is very cloudy and has somewhat of a oder. Recently, my testicals started to have a little pain and my penis would get smaller in the middle and feel a little hard, sore almost; when this happens it makes urinating very hard and painful. It was so bad at one point that I started to pee blood. I'm 25, in shape and am sexauly active. I currently dont have insurance so I was trying to figure out if I needed to go to the doctor about it and just bite the bullet on the cost.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need investigations... Detailed Answer: Hi, From what I understand is that you have increased frequency of urination along with pain and occasional bloody urine. I understand you have no insurance, but it is essential that you undergo at least urine test - routine and microscopy along with an ultrasound examination to rule out urinary tract infections. You can try visiting an urgent care clinic or any other free clinics from where you can get a prescription for testing. The next feasible option is to buy urine strips which tests for leucocytes and infection and test for yourself at home. Treatment will be based on the test results. In the interim, avoid any form of sexual activity until you feel better; drink plenty of fluids and add cranberries / cranberry juice to your diet. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards
Follow-up: Having pain while urinating, soreness in testicles and noticed blood in urine. Suggest the tests to be taken 4 hours later
I took the test you recommend. The LEU was positive and the NIT was negative.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Start antibiotics.... Detailed Answer: Hi, The test results reveal possible infection - not the regular gram negative bacteria. I would start antibiotic like cefuroxime in this situation but not before performing routine urine and culture tests. You can take plenty of fluids and cranberries for benefits. It has protective role in treating urine infection. Until you get to see the regular doctor for prescriptions. Hope this helps. Regards