Having pain under ribs. What should I do to get relief?

General Surgeon
pain on sideIve been having pain on my left.side under my ribs that goea from back to side its been there since Thanksgiving amd I now feel a ball also I dont have insurance and cant see a dr. what could it be?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are most likely caused by urinary tract stones or urinary tract infection. The pain starts from the one side back (with stones it starts suddenly) and radiates to the same side abdomen and even groin. Frequent urinating and burning when urinating can also appear. Sometimes blood in urine can be present.
It is advisable for you to have urine analysis, full blood work and abdominal ultrasound. If the infection is present, antibiotics should be prescribed. You should also drink more mineral water (about 2 liter a day) and use blueberry supplements. Hot baths can bring some relief.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.