Having pain on back, makes me feel sick. CT scan for kidneys clear. Having muscle pain. Help?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi iv got pain on my right side on my back its so bad most times i cant lay down on it it makes me feel sick iv been for a ct scan for kidneys and its all clear iv had bloods taken for other things and they come back clear the doctor said I had muscle pain but iv had this pain for a very long time its so bad sometimes im bent over the feeling is like someone pulling on something and it gets tighter some days its not to bad but the pain is still there as i can feel its pulling me down please can you help with anything
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs more evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Though there are numerous causes for Back pain, the most common among them is Musculo-skeletal back ache. It is commonly caused by poor posture, twisting
awkwardly, or incorrect lifting techniques. An MRI scan of the Lumbar spine will help in establishing other spinal causes of Back pain like Disc disease, Facet joint arthritis, spinal stenosis etc.

But at times, Pain arising from other organs in the body is also felt in the back and is termed as "Referred pain". Many intraabdominal disorders like appendicitis, aneurysms,Pancreatic diseases, kidney diseases, bladder infections, pelvic infections can produce pain which is felt in the back. So, a thorough clinical evaluation will help in establishing the diagnosis.

Temporary management of low back pain is as follows -

* Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
* Avoid forward bending activities or any other activities that produces pain
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Apply ice to the painful area once in 2 hours. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area.
* Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calm the inflammation.
* Before activities, gentle heating can help loosen the muscle. Apply a heat pack to the groin prior to stretching or exercising. As a general rule of thumb, remember to heat before an activity and ice afterwards
* Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further