Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain in upper teeth, feeling dizzy and clear fluid in ear. How to get relief from this?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have upper teeth pain dizziness and clear fluid in my ear I had vomiting for 2 days and now am left with this severe upper teeth pain and dizziness, no signs of an abcess
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The upper teeth pain may be due to sinusitis. Did you have a recent cold or fever? I am assuming that dental problems have been ruled out.

2. The type of dizziness, whether unsteadiness or vertigo, will indicate whether the ear is involved. Ear problems will give rise to spinning or vertigo.

3. It is not clear whether you are referring to fluid build-up behind the ear drum, which ear or clear fluid discharge from the ear. Get your ears examined by a local ENT Specialist to rule out any ear perforation. Ear tests such as a PTA (Pure Toine Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) should be done.

4. Do you have any history of head injury or trauma? This is important because you have vomiting since the last two days. Is the vomiting forceful or projectile? Do you have severe headache. Have you had any treatment or medication?

5. The simplest course of action will be to get an ENT examination done. I am assuming that your diabetes and hypothyroidism is under control.

6. There are many causes for dizziness. I must emphasize that you need to explain your symptoms in greater detail. You should get your physician to prescribe a painkiller at present. Your doctor can then decide on any blood tests and imaging. You may follow up with your detailed history, examination and test results here.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain in upper teeth, feeling dizzy and clear fluid in ear. How to get relief from this? 18 minutes later
Hi
I have not had any recent colds, but a dental x-ray showed a shadow I presume fluid on the upper teeth, could this be sinus? It is hard in the uk to get refferals that quickly.
I mentioned clear fluid as it is draining occasionally out of my opposite ear, when i get the dizziness it feels like my hearing is going and I can feel fluid moving in my head, then this evening clear fluid came out of my right ear!

But the pain is constantly in my left upper teeth, sometimes severe. I am taking regular ibruprofen but this does not seem to help.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. A fluid level above the upper teeth in an x-ray means that you have maxillary sinusitis.

2. Sinusitis will usually respond to anti-allergic medication, decongestants and steam inhalation. Ibuprofen may not be enough if there is nerve pain (Trigeminal neuralgia). Tryptomer (amitriptyline) 25 mg will be an option. If there is a sinus or dental irritation that is causing the pain it has to be treated. Painkillers do not treat the cause, they only mask the pain.

3. Your ear drainage cannot be treated, only controlled with the above treatment at home. It will need an ear examination. Since you have dizziness which may be a complication of ear involvement, you must request an urgent referral. The ears are connected with the nose and sinuses through the Eustachian tube, hence ear discharge is seen with sinusitis.

Regards.