Ask a Homeopath   »  

Having pain in thigh and bruise after doing bikram yoga. Hurts while stretching legs. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I practice Bikram yoga and noticed pain behind my thigh along with brusing. When I stretch my lower leg out it hurts. The instructor said that I may have over strained and may have a tear. Can you shed some light? E mail YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Yoga

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that you have overstressed your muscles leading to a tear in the muscle with a local hematoma formation. Giving rest to the legs and cold fomentation are necessary to stop any active bleeding inside.
Usually such muscle tears heal on their own without much treatment over 2-3 weeks. Please do not do any kind of massage over the area as it can cause infection. You can keep your leg elevated on two pillows while resting.
In case the swelling increases then a direct examination and investigations like MRI are needed to detect any infection and the extent of damage.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Having pain in thigh and bruise after doing bikram yoga. Hurts while stretching legs. Any suggestion? 17 hours later
Should I stop my yoga practice for about 3 wks. or do the poses that I feel comfortable doing?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
There is no need to stop the yoga practice completely. You can do the poses that you are comfortable with. Be careful to stop when you feel any pain or stretching in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.