Having pain in skull and feels hot to touch. CAT scan done. What treatment should be done?

Nov 2013

Yes, thank you. I have some skull pain and my head feels hot at times. I had a CAT scan about 7 months ago and they didn't find anything. They called back recently to see if I would like a follow up CAT scan and now they say it is merited. I said no because I don't have the pain all the time I also don't know if the scan is really merited especially when they told me they found nothing. I am under a lot of stress but I don't know if I should go back It is pretty expensive even with insurance. At the same time this pain is not usual and I've had it for about 8 months or more.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Headache is a common symptom, and most often it is not due to any serious brain disease.

The common causes include muscle tension headache, migraine, etc.

At your age, one condition we should exclude is brain ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain).

So, as of now, you could take symptomatic treatment such as ibuprofen tablets for pain relief.

If headache does not subside or if you develop new symptoms such as tingling or numbness or weakness of arms or legs; blurring of vision, imbalance while walking or problem with speaking, you could get the CAT or MRI scan of the brain done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having pain in skull and feels hot to touch. CAT scan done. What treatment should be done? 39 minutes later
Thank you. It's not a headache but rather sensitivity to touch, and pain in the skull. When I went to see my doctor, the nurse thought it might be from clinching my jaw. The doctor then suggested the CAT scan. I did take a Bayer aspirin but my skull is still sensitive to the touch, hurts and is hot. The pain is at the top of the skull but on both sides as well as further down near where the neck and skull XXXXXXX and where there is a "bump" (for lack of a better word) that is normally there. Again, it may be tension but I just wanted to check
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

I understood your problem, and still I think, it may be due to tension or migraine.

They would get better with medications such as amitriptyline or divalproex. I would suggest you go for these medications for a few weeks. Only if you do not improve, you may go for CAT scan. Please discuss this with your doctor.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)