Having pain in lower abdominal area. Tender to touch. What is the cause and what should I do?

Im a 45 year old male and i have been having some pain on my left lower abdominal area, its located right of my left hip bone and just above groin area, its real tender to touch and can feel it some when i walk and been over, been having it for a couple of days now, wondering what you think could be causing this and what i should do?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for somebody your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and suggestions.

Without being able to examine you it is somewhat difficult to determine what the actual cause of your symptom is.

I will give you a few of the possible causes. The first consideration would be that you may have a hernia. I hernia is a weakness in your abdominal wall which causes some of the intestine to push through. This would create tenderness at the site. This is diagnosed via a good physical examination.

Another possible cause would be diverticulosis or diverticulitis. This is caused by inflammation of the intestinal wall. The only real way to diagnose that would be through a colonoscopy.

The West consideration would be a kidney stone. I think this is unlikely in your case as you have more tenderness on the abdomen.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Having pain in lower abdominal area. Tender to touch. What is the cause and what should I do? 19 minutes later
Thankyou Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply, im pretty sure its not diverticulosis or diverticulitis because i actually had a colonoscopy only a month ago and everything looked fine acording to the doctor. If its a hernia, could i have one or the start of one and not notice any swelling or bulging because i dont notice anything. thank you a again.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello again. It is certainly possible that you might not be able to appreciate the hernia by pressing on your abdomen. Sometimes you might have an inguinal hernia which can really only be appreciated by a good physical examination from your physician. This is the highest on my list of possibilities in your case given the fact that you have had a colonoscopy recently.

Thanks again for your question. I am available if you have additional concerns.

Dr. Robert