Having pain in index finger and back, headache. Diagnosed with B 12 deficiency. Alternate suggestion?

hi.i've got pain in my left index finger. Went to an orthopedic as have other problems also, which include backpain and continuous headache. He pressed somewhere on my wrist and said that one nerve is pinched which is causing the pain.
His other diagnosis is that I've B 12 deficiency which is causing the headache. It also weakens the nerves.

I want to cross check with you, looking at the symptoms do you agree with him. I've not been asked for any test or MRI yet.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 38 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
As far as the pain in the finger is concerned, I can help pinpoint the cause, if you can answer the following questions:
a.     Does the pain increase on bending or extending the finger?
b.     Is there any pain in the joints specifically?
c.     Is there any associated swelling?
d.     Is there any other symptom that you have?

It seems that you might be having generalized vitamin B complex deficiency as you had tingling in the thumb, muscle spasm in the past and now pain in the index finger.
You require vitamin B1,B6, and B12 supplementation. As far as the pain in the finger is concerned, it can be due to several reasons including an inflammation in the tendons, arthritis or a pinched nerve.
Awaiting your reply.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Having pain in index finger and back, headache. Diagnosed with B 12 deficiency. Alternate suggestion? 3 hours later
Thanks Doctor! Please find my answers inline.
a. Does the pain increase on bending or extending the finger?
It increases on bending. Mostly in the mornings, when i try to stretch it hurts a lot.

b. Is there any pain in the joints specifically?
Not really. But have pain in left ankle and left hand. Sometimes there is muscular pain in left arm and left leg.

c. Is there any associated swelling?

d. Is there any other symptom that you have?
I am having headache (since past two months) mostly mild, but sometimes it aggravates. There is randomness no pattern, but it's mostly around left eye, sometimes there is a flash pain in jaw (feels if it is in molar or premolar). Sometimes at temple and sometimes at left side in the back of the head. It always is not necessary to be on left side, as I've felt a few instances of same pain in right as well!
And yes, this is not the end as i feel giddiness sometimes, for which also underwent CT Scan which didn't show anything problematic.

I'm working with a software firm and spend most of the time in front of the computer and had been riding scooty since past 3-4 years, last two years on quite bumpy roads.
My Hb level is 13.6.

I would also like to know two things.
a. Will it help to get MRI or blood test done to confirm the ailment?
b. Below are the medications which I am taking at the moment, do you feel the diagnosis is in right direction?
1. Two injections- Meganeuron 1 ml; Arachitol 6lakh
2. Add-ON D3 10K (in the morning)
3. Proxym-300 mg twice a day
4. Pan 40 twice a day
5. Nervmax (feel drowsy after taking it, in the start i felt as if my BP is high) twice a day
6. Sibelium 10 mg (in the night)
7. Domcet (for headache)
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As per your symptoms, it seems you have got problem due to some nerve irritation / pinching. The location of this pinch can be anywhere from the neck to the wrist - most probably at wrist.

The current treatment given to you is appropriate. In addition you need plenty of rest. Continue with it as suggested.

As far as confirmation, your orthopedician has considered this possibility based on your symptoms and signs elicited, if you wish to confirm we can plan to get a nerve conduction study. In addition to this I would also suggest,
1. X XXXXXXX cervical region to rule out cervical spondylitis
2. Eye check up for refraction of error
3. Blood test for uric acid, Rheumatoid arthritis test, Blood sugar and lipid profile.

Hope I answered your query. If you do not have any further clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.