Having pain in forearm, neck, ear and shoulder. Heart related problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having some on and off shooting, dull, achy pain in my left forearm near my wrist and into hand and kinda up arm. My neck is also tense up into my ears and shoulders also. Any idea what it could be. I am always so anxious about my health and worried that it may be heart related.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.
It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.
Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises and local ultrasonics).

Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.