Having pain in ear, feeling nausea, bloating, loss of appetite and temporary paralysis. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Interrelated symptoms?At night when I sleep on one ear for a while itto begins to hurt. When I turn over the other ear begins to hurt. 75% of the time it is worse in the right ear.

I used to put alcohol in my painful ear, but stopped on my doctor's advice.

During the four times I have experienced a thumping sensation in my left ear that lasts intermittently for about six hours. The first time this happened was the 16th of October. On that same day my left hand and left leg slowly became paralyzed, also intermittent. I went to the hospital where a neurologist told me it was stress and did not know what was causing it. The paralysis symptoms never recurred.

During this same time I have been experiencing problems with my stomach. Loss if appetite, bloating in my upper abdomen, nausea. There are only a few foods I can eat that don't make me nauseous. I saw a GI specialist about my stomach and she did a lab for e coli which came back negative and she is planning to do an endoscopy this coming week.

Could these problems all be interrelated? Possibly an ear infection?
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the ears could be due to an ear infection which can be determined only after a physical examination. But an ear infection is not likely to cause the nausea , bloating or the temporary paralysis that you had.
The symptoms of bloating and nausea are more likely to be associated with gastritis or hiatus hernia or gastric ulcers which can be detected on doing an endoscopic examination.
I understand that you are facing a multitude of health issues and trying to find out the best reason for the same. Most often it is not right to draw a single diagnosis with all the symptoms that you have.
Since the neurological issues have been ruled out by your neurologist, the symptoms are not likely to be due to a single problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.