Having pain in ear due to making calls. Suggest some remedy?

ENT Specialist
As my job requires me to make calls all day, i hv a pain in my left ear. can you suggest a way out to this?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

Presuming that you are making calls through cell phone; prolonged usage of the cell phone can cause lot of problems in the ear.

The waves the cell phone uses are the micro waves similar to that of an oven. So, if you are using the cell phone for a long duration, it generates heat around the area where you are using the cell phone. The heat thus produced cooks up the tissues causing damage to the sensitive nerves in and around the ear. This process of damage induced on the sensitive tissues of the ear is indicated as pain.

My suggestion to you is to use an ear phone or a head phone or a blue tooth to make calls, so that there is no direct contact of the cell phone to the body surface.

If the problem is due to the normal land phone, then the mistake could be in the receiver volume which might be high enough to cause the trauma to the inner ear. Just try to reduce the volume when making a call.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon