Having pain in breast and shoulder blade while breathing. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have a pain between the top left part of my breast and shoulder blade,only occurs when I breath in. Doesn't appear inflamed from outside. Am a smoker.pain started earlier this evening. On left side. Deeper the breath more painful like stabbing but not unbearable. No other symptoms.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the chest associated with XXXXXXX breathing is likely to be due to an inflammation of the pleura or the lung tissue- pleuritis or pneumonitis. It is more commonly seen among smokers.
Usually it is a viral infection and it subsides gradually over next 4-5 days. You can stop smoking and start having a steam inhalation with menthol crystals thrice daily.
In case the symptoms are persistent, then systemic antibiotics and steroid inhalers and bronchodilators will be helpful after consulting your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.