Having pain in armpit, feeling pins and needles in hands. What is causing this and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a pain in my left armpit and pins & needles down my entire left arm including my hand. The pain feels like that when you might be wearing clothing that is too tight and cuts off the circulation to the arm. A couple of days prior to this I developed a pain in my left shoulder blade but don't know if it has something to do with the armpit pain. I am a 61 year old male and not overweight. The symptoms came out of the blue without any related injury.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity and hence pain. Compression of nerves due to inflammation causes the altered sensations along the arm.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Having pain in armpit, feeling pins and needles in hands. What is causing this and cure? 19 hours later
Thank you for you answer. How do you view acupuncture and/or massage as treatment?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The best option would be to go for a regular physiotherapy along with anti inflammatory medicines under the guidance of your orthopedician.
Accupuncture is not very beneficial in such inflammatory problems. Massage can be helpful in relieving your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.