Having pain in arm and shoulder. Taking pain killer. Cause?

My left arm and shoulder hurt and I am taking pain pills. What might be causing it?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

The most likely cause of the pain that you're dealing with is a degenerative changes in the joints of your shoulder and back.

Other than surgery there are a couple of things that your doctors might consider. Do orthopedic doctor might consider injections of steroid medications into joints that are particular problems. If the surgeon does not feel this will be beneficial he will let you know.

Otherwise lifestyle adjustments will be necessary to limit excessive amounts of lifting that you are doing with your arm and shoulder.

Pain medications are helpful but I understand if you prefer not to take significant amounts of pain medications as they do have side effects and can cause significant fatigue.

I would encourage you to discuss the possibility of physical therapy with your doctors to see if they might help to promote better range of motion and flexibility.

If it has not been done yet it would be reasonable for you to obtain x-rays of your upper back and shoulder to see if there are any changes in the bones which could help shed some light on why you are dealing with the symptoms.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga