Having pain in ankle and foot. Heard popping sound, noticed bump on foot. Could this be ligament or muscle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having ankle/foot pain. No real swelling just pain and I was thinking it was probably just stress fracture, but this morning I heard a pop, had kniving pain and now I have a large, soft bump on top of the foot. does not hurt to stand, but does when I have to flex the foot to walk. Could it be a ligament or muscle?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury- tendon or muscle injury around your ankle.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of injury.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of swelling.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.