Having pain from elbow to shoulder. Took paracetamol but no relief. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife has severe pain in both arms from the elbow to the shoulder - she has great difficulty in lifting her arms and also great difficulty putting say a dressing gown on - this came on quite suddenly about two weeks ago ? The pain is quite severe and keeps her awake at night the pain eases off a little during the day but is still debilitating and is causing her great anxiety. She has tried taking some Paracetamol but with not much effect.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I am Dr Vaibbhav Gandhi , I am Orthopaedic Surgeon.

I have studied your case. And as per your description, I feel your wife could be suffering with bilateral frozen shoulder [adhesive pericapsulitis]. A second close possibility could be cervical nerve compression.

Is she having Diabetes?

If she were to be my patient, I would advise her to get X-rays of shoulder to look for development of arthritis. Accordingly advise her medicines such as anti inflammatory drugs, physiotherapy (Short wave diathermy, ultrasound) and specific exercises done under the guidance physiotherapist. If the above modalities do not help her, then intra-articular injection would be tried.

If possible I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon nearby and get her evaluated and treated as mentioned above.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.