Having pain bloating and gas. Had Prostatitis and Urologist. Put Cephalexin. Allergic to Penicillin, Sulfur and Cipro. Remedy?

Pediatrician
Question
I'm 75 years old and it seems like every antibiotic I take has a impact on my colon, ie: pain, bloating, gas and so forth. Even when I take them with food. I remember my Mother having the same problem. I just had a bout of Prostatitis and the Urologist put me on Cephalexin, 500 MG, 3X a day. He wanted me to take it for 30 days and I could not get past 14 days. I'm also allergic to Penicillin, Sulfur, and Cipro.
What does one do?
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your query.

Unfortunately this is the side effect of antibiotics as they happen to kill the healthy bacteria in the intestines. I hope the doctors must have prescribed some probiotics such as lactobacillus along with the antibiotics. If not then it is advisable to have them while completing your course of antibiotics so as to minimize the symptoms that you get. I am afraid that there is no other alternative, though some antibiotics may give fewer symptoms but then their spectrum of action may not cover the infection which you may be having.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Having pain bloating and gas. Had Prostatitis and Urologist. Put Cephalexin. Allergic to Penicillin, Sulfur and Cipro. Remedy? 1 hour later
You are so correct! After I quit the antibiotic I started to take Yakult and my colon is slowly starting to respond. I sort of knew this but was concerned it would impact the antibiotic so did not. Shame on me!
Good job Doctor and thank you.
XXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your post. I am happy that I have been able to give you the correct advice.

In case you intend closing the query then do provide your review.

Wishing you all the best,

Rajiv