Having pain between shoulders and in stomach. Having flatulence and nausea. Feeling fullness in abdomen. Suggestions

General Surgeon
last night when going to bed my back hurt between my shoulder blades. This is common for me after eating and usually I stretch and eventually it goes away. This time it worsened. My stomach began having shooting pains and I had pain below the ribcage, almost like severe acid reflux. No position provided comfort. I also had lots of flatulence and nausea. I did not vomit, but it felt like if I could I would feel better. I have constant pain and fullness on my right side of my abdomen and right flank.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Pain between the shoulder blades and stomach pain triggered by a meal are most likely caused by gallstones. The pain can be present with you for years. It is usually located on the right side, just below the rib cage. Can come and go. It is usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods and alcohol. Nausea is also present.
Pancreas inflammation can give similar symptoms and should be also considered.
Stomach issues like peptic ulcer or an inflammation can sometimes give such symptoms as well.

I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should start with blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound. If all this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be next.

If you will be diagnosed with gallstones, laparoscopic (key hole) surgery will be necessary to treat your condition.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol and coffee.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.