Having pain behind hips and legs during erection. Guide

Pain behind hips and down legs when I get an erection
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Before commencing, there are a few questions that should be considered.

Is this the first time you are experiencing this pain with erections?
For how long have you been experiencing this?
Do you have any past history of back ache or spinal trauma?
What is the quality of your urine and stool or bowel control ability?
Do have any changes in the sensitivity in your anal area?
Any weakness in the lower limbs?
Any sensations of electric discharges in the lower limbs?

Erection is controlled by the parasympathetic nervous system, which originates in the lumbar and sacral nerves (spinal cord). A lesion at this level could there fore be associated with problem with erections. It would be very important noting whether since you started experiencing these two symptoms together, has this affected in anyway the quality of your erections? Are satisfied with them? Lesions of the spine at this lumbar and sacral region (lower) back, like trauma, tumours, compressive lesions, degenerative disease could cause problems with

Other cormobidities like diabetes and hypertension, other chronic or autoimmune conditions must be considered when analyzing this problem. Spinal X rays, CT scan and MRIs might be required at some point during the evaluation process. A proper clinical evaluation, past history considerations, past medical and professional history coupled with appropriate paracalinical testing from you Urologist or Neurologist could be very imperative in making an appropriate diagnosis and drawing up a management plan.

I suggest you book an appointment with your urologist first, and he might include a neurologist in the management stream along the line depending on the case.

Waiting for your response,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Having pain behind hips and legs during erection. Guide 38 minutes later
No it is not it started two months ago ,but it goes and come history with back problems and I have no problems when I urine as far as I know it looks sensitivity in my anal and no weakness but in the past at times I'd wake up with a numbness tingling feeling in my legs. The pain has mostly been in my left thigh and left hip if I don't have erections the pain goes away after a few days.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 35 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the informative response,

It decreases the suspicion of more serious disease. Your response points to a nerve irritation of compression syndrome, probably branches of the lumbosacral plexus, responsible for provision of parasympathetic nerve innervation to the sex organs, lower abdomen and lower limbs.

I strongly suggest you consult a urologist and probably a neurologist for an appropriate clinical evaluation. X rays , a CT scan and an MRI of the lumbosacreal spine combined with the physical examinations shall be very useful in orienting and adapting a specific diagnostic and management plan for you.

Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health.

Luchuo, MD.