Having pain behind ear and neck. Feeling dizzy. How can I get relief from neck pain?

Hi, will a neck problem correct itself? I seem to have something wrong with my neck, I've had a lot of pain radiating to behind the ear on one side and even down into my right arm. A couple of days ago I woke up really dizzy, and then my mum manipulated my neck and it seemed to pop into place and the dizziness went away instantly and never occured again since. But I don't know what to do about the pain. Paracetemol is not giving any relief for it, the pain is similar to the neuralgia I have from wisdom teeth removal, and I've been having neuralgia pain on top of this neck pain. How can I relieve the neck pain? I've tried heat and ice. Also, I have not been diagnosed with neuralgia because I usualy just deal with the pain without seeing a doctor for it. Thanks so much.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for neck pain.They are: (1) spasm or tightening of the muscles in the neck which usually presents with stiffness and pain when moving the neck in specific directions depending on the muscle affected. It is treated with muscle relaxants and pain medication(2) pinched nerve which can occur if the nerve is compressed as a result of arthritis, herniated disc, spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal which the nerves pass through),cervical rib. The symptoms of a pinched nerve would be pain or stiffness, along with symptoms down the arm.These symptoms are similar to what you are experiencing.Diagnosis would require that you visit a doctor who will take a history of the pain, any neurological symptoms and any reason that the nerve may be pinched.You may need to get xrays of the neck done to check for any abnormalities.Treatment may involve the use of medication, physical therapy, in rare cases (depending on cause and response to medication) surgery may be required
(3) stress, injury from accident ,arthritis (without pinched nerve) can also cause pain

You can try using antiinflammatory pain medication such as cataflam,ibuprofen,voltaren, these should be used on a full stomach and are usually available over the counter.
If the pain continues then it may be necessary to see your doctor.

I hope this information is helpful to you,feel free to ask anything else

I hope