Having osteoporosis and back pain. MRI scan done. What does the report suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
back and osteoporosisI have a. question l3-4disc dehydrated disc is seen with diffuse annular disc bulge . facet arthropathy is noted bilaterated. laminotomy defect is seen on right .and on l4-5 and l5-s1 my back hurts bad I have osteoporosis to .they what me to 1year berfoe anything can be done I have a appt with pain management Dr I had to quite my job and try for SSI I hope I. have a case I do have a lawyer XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Your MRI findings are suggestive of a disc prolapse. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.