Having osteoporosis and arthritis. Had a knee and hip replacement. Having back pain. Using morphine patch and painkillers

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Fairly healthy for a 93 year old, but suffers from osteoporosis and arthritis. Has had a knee replacement and hip replacement. About a week ago she felt something change in her back and it is extremely painful. She says it's like someone sticking needles in it. She has been using a morphine patch and prescription painkillers for several years. Waiting 2 weeks for an X XXXXXXX result
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
I have seen the picture attached. There is a kyphosis of the lumbar spine. A collapse of vertebra due to osteoporosis is likely.
The X-ray report will make the diagnosis clear. Sometimes MRI scan is also needed to detect the muscle relaxants in combination with pain killers prescribed from her orthopedician. Absolute bed rest is necessary to keep the pain at bay.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Having osteoporosis and arthritis. Had a knee and hip replacement. Having back pain. Using morphine patch and painkillers 8 hours later
At her age major surgery is not an option. I read an article about vertebroplasty which seems to work well for people with her condition. Would this be the best option? Is there any other treatment? Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is true that a major surgery cannot be planned at her age. Vertebroplasty is an option but this depends on the extent of collapse, nerve involvement, degree of damage, etc which needs an MRI scan and a clinical assessment.
Do wait for the reports and let your spine surgeon select the best treatment for her.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.