Ask a Dentist   »  

Having oral surgery under general anesthesia. Alcohol consumption on the previous night. Will there be a problem?

My husband is having oral surgery under general anesthesia tomorrow afternoon. He drank 2 beers tonight. Is that a problem?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

Before general anesthesia, it is better not to irritate the stomach in any way since there can be gastritis due to the beer leading to severe retching during and especially after surgery.

He should immediately take over the counter acidity pills and also inform his doctor before the surgery, so that he can take preventive action if he thinks it is necessary.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.