Having numbness in face, arm and leg. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having epidodes of numbness fro
in my face, arm and leg , it started on my left side a week ago and today it is on my right side as well and I have been having some drooling today. I was in ER last Tuesday and they found nothing and said it was a reaction to my migraine medicine. I have a cat scan and carotid scheduledd for Friday,
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you have described can be due to stroke or a vascular problem. Stroke can cause difficulty with speech, drooling, muscle weakness and trouble swallowing.
You need to have investigations like CT scan and brain MRI for proper diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can start taking Vitamin B complex supplements specially methylcobalamin after consulting your physician.
Aspirin can also help but it plays more of a prophylactic role in preventing any future clot formation rather than causing the breakdown of the clot. Physiotherapy plays an important role in the neurological recovery and should be actively sought for.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.