Having numbness in arm and finger. History of muscle twitching and vibrating. Are they related?

I have an issue with numbness in my left arm. It doesn't affect the arm at all times but only during sleep where the little finger and the one next to it can become numb together with some type of pins and needles sensation. It does appear to be related to the funny bone as when I feel the area above the funny bone when this happens, it also feels a little numb and also feels a little tighter/harder than in the right arm. Then the sensation does seem to extend towards the fingers mentioned. The whole arm is not affected by this sensation.
I have also been getting pins and needles sensations in the big toe and one next to it.
Possibly related is my medical history of muscle twitching and vibrations (which are detailed on this site if you can access my other questions), which started six weeks ago with twitching in the right bottom calf muscles and right thigh which then spread to the left leg. Then, the twitching transitioned after a few days into mainly a vibrating/trembling sensation and mainly affected the left leg after two weeks although the right leg was also still affected at times. The left arm seemed to be affected by the trembling and twitching after two or three weeks. More rarely, the left back and abdominal muscles will twitch but they don't appear to be trembling or vibrating. I did an emg and nerve conduction at two weeks with an emg on the left arm/leg and right leg and nerve conduction on the left arm. They were normal but the neurologist said early onset diseases usually could not be picked up on emgs in any case.
What could be causing these symptoms or they are not likely related? Should I follow up with further investigations?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your medical problems and I do understand your concern

Your intermittent numbness of the left arm and fingers that you have mentioned could be related to cervical spondylosis. These types of cases may not show abnormality in the EMG may be normal in the early stages. MRI scan of the cervical spine is the test which will show abnormality in these types of problem. Similarly pins and needles sensation in the toes could be related to lumbar spine related problem. MRI scans of spine (Lumbar and cervical regions will help in these cases).
Please note that twitching of muscles could be related to many causes like anxiety, stress, electrolyte imbalance, motor neuron diseases and other neurological diseases. In the absence of muscle weakness, twitching is not serious and it may be related to stress. The description of the twitching and numbness does not match and I think they are not related. You may get blood calcium, sodium, potassium, and blood sugar and thyroid function tests.

I advise you to XXXXXXX a local neuromuscular expert who will guide you in this regard in a better way.

I hope that I have clarified your query,
please get back to me in case if you have any other concern
Best wishes
Follow-up: Having numbness in arm and finger. History of muscle twitching and vibrating. Are they related? 18 hours later
Dear Dr. Dash,

Thanks for the information. Could you please kindly explain the condition of cervical spondylosis and its causes. Also, where are the cervical and lumbar regions?

My muscle-twitching was possibly related to running on the treadmill after a period of inactivity. I did notice some lower back pain which does come up occasionally so I am not sure if that could be related. I did have back pains many years ago and have seen doctors for that issue before. It was found that possibly one leg being slightly longer than the other could have caused the back pain so I am not sure if that would continue to causes spinal issues.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the feed back

Cervical spondylosis is a condition where the bones in the cervical regions (in the back side side of neck) undergo changes (These changes happens over years and bone may develop spicules called osteophytes which can compress the nerve and cause pain) as well as the muscles attached to these bones undergo changes and may cause pain in the neck and hands. The spines located back in the stomach are the lumbar regions.

As I have told you twitching can happen due to stress. Given the data that you have posted you will not have any serious issues at all. You can attend a local n neuro-rehabilitaion center where they will guide you appropriate back exercise which will help you

Best wishes
Follow-up: Having numbness in arm and finger. History of muscle twitching and vibrating. Are they related? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Dash,

Thankyou. I will follow up to see what I can do to improve my condition but agree it does not appear serious.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 6 hours later
Dear Sir,

You are most welcome

Best wishes