Having numbness and weakness in legs when walking or standing. What can be the cause?

I was woken from sleep suddenly today and now when I stand or walk around I have a weakness / numbness in my legs. It's not a feeling that I have had before, I was wondering what it could be exactly...

Kind Regards,

Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low blood pressure or trapped nerve

Detailed Answer:

The weakness/numbness in your legs could be due to low blood pressure or due to pinched or entrapped nerve.

This is not serious. Please relax yourself; do some stretching exercises of your legs. And also, do some rotatory head and neck movements. You should be fine soon. Drink plenty of water orally and do deep breathing exercises.

Just to be on the safer side, get your blood pressure checked to make sure it is normal.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Having numbness and weakness in legs when walking or standing. What can be the cause? 15 minutes later
Hi there,

thank you for a quick response.

Will I need to go and see a Doctor or to the Hospital to check my Blood Pressure?

I do know a trick that I was taught by a Paramedic by which, I squeeze the tip of my finger and see how long it takes to go from white back to normal colour, I have done this and it was instant from white to normal.

(My Blood Pressure has always been perfect on past readings)

I have also checked my Pulse, which is 78 bpm (I have attached the image of my result as it appears to have an ECG style read on the bottom of the image below the reading. I have also checked this by an SPO2 meter and know it to be very accurate in reading my pulse rate)

Would that be enough info to suggest that my blood pressure is fine, or would I have to see someone for a more accurate reading?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your blood pressure is normal

Detailed Answer:

Your blood pressure is normal. So is your pulse and Spo2.

I do not think you need a more accurate reading or head to the hospital.

Relax, be rest assured that you are normal and in good health now.

Take care!