Ask a Urologist   »  

Having no urge for urination, drinking normal. Odour of urine is weird. Worried?

General Surgeon
I never get an urge to pee the last few days. Im drinking normal. I dont have any pain but did have weird odor to urine once. Need to worry??
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Urge to pass urine is dependent on the impulses sent by brain.If the bladder is full,it will be stimulated by the nerves and feels urge to pee.If you are busy with your work,the brain will be concentrating on the work only and the feel to pee will not occur.So,please relax in between ,during your work .
You should drink plenty of liquids,at least 3 litres of water.Dehydration is one of the commonest causes of bad odour of pee.
You had bad odour once.The odour is dependent on the amount of liquid ,medicines like pencillin ,diet you take like Asparagus,infection of urinary tract.
So,if the odour was weird once and is normal now,nothing to worry.
I request you to relax and drink atleast 3 litres of water daily.
You follow this for few days and come back.
Hope your problem will be solved.
Practise Yoga and meditation so that all the muscles including bladder function properly
Wish you good health
If you have any queries,i will clarify further
Follow-up: Having no urge for urination, drinking normal. Odour of urine is weird. Worried? 6 minutes later
Even in the morning when i wake up i dont go very much. Does my lab work look ok? My urine smelled like moth balls the best way i can explain it.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your reports are normal except low potassium level

Detailed Answer:
I saw your report.Except for low potassium,all are normal.Potassium level is also near the lower limit.It is not of much concern.
If the urine colour is white and it is not burning,you can consider it as normal.
Because of the diet,you might have experienced that odour.It is temporary.IF the urine is odourless now,nothing to worry.