Ask a Dentist   »  

Having nerve pain in teeth and dark spot on gum. Is that the wisdom tooth coming out?

Having nerve pain in some teeth and have a small dark spot on my gum. Haven't had my wisdom teeth out. Could that be it?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Black spots on gums can affect your appearance and be embarrassing, but they are not generally a cause for concern and there are many potential causes. I think it might be there from many days you might have noticed now.

Most of the people will have some spot on the gum and it is perfectly normal. Few causes of dark spot on the gum are bruises; gums are darker than rest of the body bruises over here may be much darker. Hyper pigmentation and hardened plaques can cause.

If you have fillings, crowns or dentures, you may develop amalgam tattoos. These gum discolorations are the result of particles of silver filings rooting in the soft tissue of the gums.

Common causes of toothaches include dental cavities, dental abscess, gum disease, irritation of the tooth root, impaction, and eruption.

Cavities are treated by filling and treatment of gum disease always involves oral hygiene and removal of bacterial plaque and tartar, also scaling and root planning will help. For sensitivities fluoride containing gel or tooth paste will be helpful.

It will be nice if you mention the teeth which are causing pain; if it is wisdom it might be erupting or impacted. In that case you have see dentist, if there is infection he will give you course of antibiotic and then he will plan the extraction of tooth.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.