Having neck sprain and using soft pillows. Diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and took pain killers. Extremely burning. Suggest the cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi, my hubby is 31 yr old ,working as a software engg,he works on computers 8-10hrs. We got married 6 mnths back, shifted to a new house and as well started using soft pillows, unlike the traditional cotton pillows we used for years. recently he got neck sprain from 2 weeks, the first week it got slightly better after taking some pain killers, and avoiding pillow. but this week again he got the pain, when consulted a physician she pressed the area paining from neck to shoulder and told it is cervical spondylosis.She suggested D.F.O Gel with hot water towel on paining area. I did that but its extremely burning for him, so I have to wipe the gel off, he says it horribly burning.
I am worried and cant see him in pain, pls suggest me cure to this, also is there any chances that it may just be a sprain bcoz of wrong pillow or sleeping posture.

Pls suggest me the correct sleeping posture and right pillow or exercise reqd for his pain releif

Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxants will help him.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the neck could be due to a sprain or cervical spondylosis. A change in the pillow can also cause such a pain. The best is to use a thin cotton pillow that keeps the neck straight while sleeping.
Treatment includes
1. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
2. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist after the acute pain subsides.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms. he can avoid using the gel as it is causing the burning.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications like muscle relaxants (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having neck sprain and using soft pillows. Diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and took pain killers. Extremely burning. Suggest the cure? 10 hours later

I am hoping its a temporary sprain, and could be solved by changing the the mattress and the pillow. about the gel i surfed and found out its normal to burn for few seconds, hence i continued applying it on his neck and shoulder along with hot water napkin.

Pls tel me in case it is cervical spontlydis will it be permanantly cured?

pls recommend the sleeping poistions and other postures while working...

yoga and morning walk will help him?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis can be symptomatically better

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
If it is due to cervical spondylosis, then he will have to do regular neck muscle strengthening exercises to decrease the further progression of his symptoms. He will be pain free in a few days. A permanent cure cannot be assured.
It is best to lie on his back while sleeping and avoid abnormal neck positions. Keep the shoulders straight while sitting and working on the computer. Taking frequent stretch breaks will be helpful. Do consult a physiotherapist for proper exercises needed.
Yoga and morning walk will be helpful after he is pain free.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.