Having nausea, lost weight, diarrhea and vomiting. On Cepeloxin for two surgeries. Side effects?

I have been deathly ill after trials of !,000 mg Cepeloxin for 2 surgeries. I lost 17 pounds constant naseau, became
inpacted, then diarhea. Cannot eat vomit. living on diet of drinking Kiefer with some fruit. I READ THIS IS A
SEREOUS side effect. HELF
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

This is very common with the drug. The impact of patients health differs from patient to patient. If your general physical condition is really that altered, you might have to seek urgent medical care.

Excessive vomiting is a frequently encountered side effect with this drug. However, there are few things you should always consider when taking drugs, especially with your case with a history of type II diabetes and vascular lesions.

Getting advice fro a physician before taking drugs you are not used to, especially when seriously ill is very important.

For now, I strongly suggest you suspend this drug immediately and get advice from your emergency physician as you program an appointment with your family care doctor. If you are really experiencing uncontrolled vomiting, you will have to consult your doctor.

Anti emetics (drugs that control vomiting like Vogalene, Promethazine, Motilium etc) could be used to stabilize your condition now. In case of signs of dehydration already, appropriate fluid replacement therapy, after control of blood glucose levels and electrolyte panel (Calcium, Potassium , Magnesium, Sodium) have been controlled.

It s advisable to have a proper glucose level control. Uncontrolled diabetes could contribute to vomiting. Check your kidney function, which could be compromised in uncontrolled diabetes.

My suggestion is suspending the drug in case your physical outlook is seriously altered, and you cannot actually support it. take the anti emmetics (anti vomit) as you wait for a proper clinical evaluation with your usual physician.

Thanks and hope this helps, do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.