Having nausea, dizziness and vomiting. History of vertigo. Allergic to chemotherapy drugs. Prescribed Cymbalta. Suggest

Oncologist, Surgical
I have had 12 days of nausea, dizziness, vomiting and am a disabled colon cancer patient. I'm clear of cancer 2 years but the chemotherapy gave me neuropathy and incontinence. They say it is vertigo but it comes and goes throughout the day. I've had allergic reactions to most drugs including the chemotherapy in 2011. Cymbalta was prescribed for pain. That was removed 5 days ago when the vertigo started. I can't work or stay on my feet long periods without nausea and vomiting.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 10 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Your dizziness could be explained due to the following conditions:
- due to cymbalta, which is known to cause dizziness. Even after stopping the drug, these symptoms can persist for a few days before they subside on their own.

- you have a previous history of vertigo, which can also explain the dizziness. You should consult an ENT surgeon and have him evaluate your dizziness. It could be Meniere's disease

- considering your history of colon cancer, a CT scan of the brain should be done to rule out metastasis to the brain, which can also present with these symptoms. You should XXXXXXX you oncologist and consider a CT scan.

The unsteady gait and the vomiting are due to the dizziness and will subside once the dizziness is under control. You can take Emset for the vomiting.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.