Having nausea, abdominal pain and noticed string in stools. Should I get treated for parasitic infestation?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I'm having mild to moderate intermittent nausea with loose stools. Yesterday I notice long string-like objects in my stool. Sunday I was in Cabo San XXXXXXX Mexico and I had abdominal cramping. By Monday I had abdominal pain and nausea and dizziness. Background: I had 2 alcoholic drinks 4 days prior and I had eaten meat (after being a vegetarian/vegan for the last year). A doctor was sent to my hotel room and she prescribed protonix and meclizine. Today I am still having nausea and loose stools with lower abdominal tenderness. I went to urgent care today (my doctor was not available to see me). The urgent care doctor told me to wait a week to see if I start to feel better. But I was concerned about possible parasites. I insisted on a lab test to check my stool for parasites. I will go tomorrow when the lab opens. But even if I feel better in a couple days, does that mean I don't need to worry about a parasitic infection? Also, I found what appeared to be large chunks of undigested pieces of meat in my stool. Is it normal to see meat from 4 days ago?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

You should get treated for parasitic infestation even if you feel better after a few days.

It is unlikely for a meat piece to remain undigested for 4 days and get evacuated through feces.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having nausea, abdominal pain and noticed string in stools. Should I get treated for parasitic infestation? 26 minutes later
Dr Kini,

Thank you for your reply.

If my tests come back negative, what do you suppose were the long, XXXXXXX colored string-like objects in my stool specimen as shown in the photos?

Is it okay to use that specimen for my test today? (The specimen will be approximately 24 hours old by the time I have my lab appointment)

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
It is difficult to say what it is looking at the photos.
Yes, it is okay to use that specimen for your test.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini