Having muscle pain all over body, Feel tired and lack of energy, pins and needles around knees. Suggest?

Im looking for your opinion on some symptoms ive had for the last two to three weeks.

I will list them for you.

1. Feeling tired and a general lack of energy
2. Thigh muscles ache and tingle and feel wobbly but havent done any exercise or exerted myself.
3. Muscles in the back of my knees ached as above.
4. Muscles in back of calf's as above.
5. Prickly (pins and needle) sensations around the tops of my knees, back of calfs and also left hand.
6. Muscle in my left arm bysep ache as above

As you can see im having muscle aches and pains for no reason i havent been exercising or anything like that to put strain on my muscles.
Have you any idea what is causing this, its quite worrying as ive read some things on the interenet.
Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 14 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Indeed, the symptoms are somewhat concerning since we dont have any evident reasons (illicit drugs, medications like cholesterol lowering pills, active infection, etc) that would easily explain the symptoms. The way that I would approach it (and it is a big differential of possibilities as you have investigated in the web) would be to determine if it is a primary nerve problem (neuropathy) or a muscle problem (myopathy); initial workup should include a detailed focused history and a very careful physical exam, with particular emphasis on a neuromuscular exam. The best specialist to see you would be definitely a neurologist, who would decide based on that preliminary approach which tests (laboratory basics, electromyography, etc) would be indicated.

Hope that helps as a starting point, best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN