Having mosquito like bumps on skin and itchy feeling on back, stomach and hips. Suggest the treatment

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I've been experiencing mosquitoe-like bumps on my skin everyday. It is not actual mbosquitoes that are biting me but it feels and looks like it. I only experienced this itchy feeling on my back, stomach and hips. The photos are evident. Those areas mentioned earlier gives me the thought of it not not being mosquitoes because I was not bitten on the arms, legs or anywhere else.
although I must mention that I share a room with my sister and she doesn't experience any bites or itching.
However, the last Saturday in September, I went to the beach and came back home with sea lice and it happened that it looked exactly the same as these marks on my back and stomach. Nevertheless, I have only been experiencing this for the to for days.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The condition is Urticaria or hives

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

After reading your query I thoroughly analyzing all the four pictures I can make the best possibility of Urticaria or simply known as Hives.

To tell you Medically - Our blood contains mutiple type cells including red blood cells and white blood cells. Specifically these white blood cells provide immunity to our body which are of further mutiple types.

Whenever anything in body is not suitable or offending to body then the number of white blood cells increases transiently. Particularly these cells which increase are eosinophils and basophils which are also known as mast cells.

These cells contains granules which contains histamine. So as soon as these offending factors come in contact there is bursting of the mast cells. There fore this histamine is released and we experience variable degree of itching and the kind of bumps which we can see in the pictures. The bumps can remain for a very transient period to upto mutiple hours. It can remain for more than 12 hours too depending on the intensity of the offending factor but never more than 24 hours.

Now the type of offending factor are innumerable including our food, environmental factors including temperature variation, heat, humidity, cold, dust and even simple of fragrances in air and mutiple of other related things.

In yourself as these are present mainly on trunk region so most probably it may be related to environmental factors or or any contact allergen. You check out for any change in all the factors during preceding last two hours before the bumps.

For the treatment part - it is quite simple and treated with drugs which inhibits the histamine release also known as Antihistamines. You can take loratadine or levocetrizine which are most favored drugs for the treatment. Levoocetrizine though effective but can produce mild sedation. You can start with one tablet per day and can increase upto 3-4 times if there is less benefit. I prefer Loratadine ( Claritin or Lorfast) in my patients as it is very simple medicine without any side effects of sedation.

The problem resolves by itself in short period of time of few weeks to months so do not worry about the same.

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology

Follow-up: Having mosquito like bumps on skin and itchy feeling on back, stomach and hips. Suggest the treatment 51 minutes later
Forgot to mention i have no known allergies. so it has nothing to do with that encounter with the sea lice last month? as a result that I only experience this problem in one particular room in the house. could it just be the room? do you think I have too little of something in my diet? i want to highlight the image of my front abdomen that does not depict any signs of bumps. I assume there's isn't any there because I slept on my stomach. Also, I have three bumps on my right 'butt' and one beneath my waist at the top of my left 'butt'. (Correction: I've been experiencing this issue for three to four days.) Just was making certain you have every detail before I received my final diagnosis. feel free to ask me any questions. thank you for taking your time out.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kinldy see the detailed mail.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your prompt reply.

I am quite clear in my diagnosis which if you want then can further confirm from your consulting dermatologist. The condition is simple urticaria only. This is very simple of the condition and you do not worry about this simple problem.

Now regarding your further queries- as I said earlier that these bumps which I described as urticaria or hives can be due to variety of causes including the things which are in our contact in day to day life. It can be due to any particular food or due to house dust or inhalant in air or due any food items. Despite the availability of best and latest of the tests we Medical science are not able to pin point the exact cause of these things.

SO therefore we guide the patient to take the simplest of the diet. No food items or anything form outside including any packed drinking items like cold drinks and any other food. AS I explained you before that you check out for any related thing in your daily schedule where these eruptions are occurring. You notice all the things exactly 2 hours before the episode of bumps.

I suggest you to start the tablet Loratadine and see the benefit accordingly.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology

Follow-up: Having mosquito like bumps on skin and itchy feeling on back, stomach and hips. Suggest the treatment 55 minutes later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX Everything was very informative.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your appreciation is source of inspiration

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Welcome again to the forum. I am really glad that I was able to guide for your simple problem. Your appreciation is a continuous source of inspiration to work better and better in the filed of medical sciences.

With good wishes of early recovery of the problem,

Dr Sanjay